Tuesday 25 August 2015

20 Things You Should Never Say To Somebody With An Eating Disorder








1. You do not look thin enough to have an eating disorder.
( An eating disorder is not a body type , it is an illness in the mind)

2. Would you like to try some of this food?
( If the individual feels pressured and forced to eat the food it will back fire on the person offering the food )

3. You are just looking for attention for someone to compliment you on your weight.
( Making the person feel selfish and stupid for having an eating disorder)

4. Just eat more would you.
( Again will feel pressured) 

5. I wish I could loose weight like you.
( May encourage the individual to loose more weight)

6. You looked better before.
( Makes them feel confused and ashamed of their weight)

7. Why don't you just exercise?
( Makes the person feel stupid)

8. What have you eaten today?
( Feels like they are being watched at everything they do)

9. What is it like to have an eating disorder? 
( An upsetting and emotional question)

10. I didn't invite you out because you don't eat.
( Makes the person feel worthless)

11. You have eaten more than yesterday.
( Makes the person feel ashamed for eating more)

12. How much do you weigh? 
(Assuming they are fat)

13. If you think you are fat , then I must be fat too.
( feels bad about themselves)

14. If you eat everything will be better.
( Feels forced , confused , worthless and stupid)

15. You look healthier , you have put a little weight on.
( Thinks you are calling the individual fat)

16. I will make sure you will eat.
( Again Feeling forced to eat)

17. You will get over it soon enough.
( Makes the person feel stupid)

18. I am glad you have eaten something.
( Makes the person feel ashamed for eating)

19. Negative comments about somebody else's weight.
( Paranoid about what they may think of their weight)

20. I will buy you some food.
( Feeling controlled) 







( Being someone who has suffered with anorexia for the  past 8 years , these comments  have been personally made to me and have had a sensitive emotional effect on myself ,I thought I would write a little blog post to help people understand what comments said or made to a person with eating disorder could possibly find offensive and have a negative effect on the individual. However not every person with an eating disorder will have the same sensibility as each other , so they may find some comments more sensitive than others. I am in no means way saying that every person with an eating disorder feels this way , I have just written this from my own perspective of comments that have been made relating to myself having an eating disorder which I have personally found distressing.) 








Instagram - xovintagewayoflifexo
Twitter - V_wayoflifexo
Facebook - Ava Clarice Hornby 



Love Ava 
xoxox
  

No comments:

Post a Comment